Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Ginger Beer Challenge

So, a while back, after my failed experiment with a beer-less life and the attendant quantities of cider that that necessitated, I decided to review some ginger beers, alcoholic ones*, that is. Having bought them some months ago they lay dormant in my beer fridge until I realised that they might be going out of date and that I should get my metaphorical skates on.

Note: I tasted all three from the same sized glass, refrigerated, with neither ice nor slice.

First up is Stone's Ginger Joe 4% abv.
I like this. It tastes like ginger ale with a shot added, which I suppose is the point. It's thirst quenching, although it remains to be seen how it fares against the next two candidates.


Next up is Wychwood Brewery Ginger Beard 4.2 % abv
Not sure about this. Tastes like some real root ginger initially but it resolves to a slightly unpleasant aftertaste. Don't think I'd buy this again.


Lastly Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer 4% abv
Wow, very gingery and perhaps slightly sweeter than its rivals, but very drinkable all the same.

To be honest, I'd be quite happy with either the Stone's or the Crabbies's and if I find any more candidates I'll taste them and add them here.


* If you fancy a tasty non-alcoholic ginger beer, try M&S. They do a fantastic one that's replete with lots of lip-smacking root ginger. If you are feeling adventurous , try adding 2 shots of vodka and a squeeze of lime for a delicious Moscow mule, kudos to Nedward for that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment