Friday, April 19, 2013

Battle of the (India) Pale Ales - Quarter Finals 7 & 8

Quarter Final 7 - Battle of the Strong Silent Yankee types

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA 35cl 7.2% abv - €2.79 
ODell India Pale Ale  35.5cl 7% abv - €3.79

I have had the Torpedo before, preferring  it to the standard pale ale from Sierra Nevada, so hope are high. The Odell I had only once, bought by Herself as part of a welcome home trousseau of ales. I remember liking it, but I was a bit pissed at the time, so a level playing field awaits tonight.

Note: I also purchased (long story) an ODells 5 Barrel Pale Ale (€3.29), which I have not included in the competition, through bad planning. I did include 2 Sierra Nevadas (they both lost) so I am being inconsistent, apologies. I put the Torpedo against the ODell as they are both extra* IPAs - 7%+ abv

I haven't mentioned temperature before but it's worth a few words now. IMHO most of these ales, especially the strong ones taste best when slightly warmer than fridge temp; maybe 20 or 30 minutes out of the cold seems, to this palate, to me about right. 

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA 35cl 7.2% abv
Yummy, yummy, yummy. Strong, decently hoppy and well balanced, with some lovely citrussy fruit. This reminds me of the Goose Island, which is not a bad thing.

ODell India Pale Ale  35.5cl 7% abv
Whoa. I was wrong. This one is like Goose Island. Lots of grapefruit, not a huge amount of hops but great balance and very drinkable.

Winner ODell India Pale Ale. This was a very close one. They are both very tasty but the ODell just shades it.

* I'm not sure what the actual definition of an Extra IPA is, just Google it already.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Quarter Final 8 - Ulster Vs Connaught 

College Green Brewery Headless Dog - 50cl 4.2% abv - €3.29
Galway Hooker Irish Pale Ale - 50cl 4.3% abv - €3.29

Both of these are Irish but I've not had the Headless Dog before; their Belfast lager is pretty decent if unremarkable.  I'm expecting two easy drinking ales, so let's see...

College Green Brewery Headless Dog
Pale amber in the glass with a lengthy head (steady!), This is...pleasant if a little mild for my tastes, not at all like the big bruising US ales.

Galway Hooker Irish Pale Ale
Similar, if a little redder in the glass, this is another mildish ale. Not a huge amount of flavour here, unfortunately. Not bad but not great.

Winner College Green Brewery Headless Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment